Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sweet Potato Pie


I went to a clam bake that had leftovers so I came home with some clams and sweet potatoes. I asked for A sweet potato, but came home with four. I used the (three dozen!) clams in Manhattan clam chowder, which turned out great, and the sweet potatoes in the pie pictured above.
I thought the sweet potatoes were incredibly sweet so I cut the sugar to 3/4 cup. I also added cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. I used a graham cracker crust because I had graham cracker crumbs that needed to be used up.
There are a lot of variations to sweet potato pie and this one was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want to use evaporated or sweetened condensed milk or make the filling too custardy. The end result tasted just like I thought it would from reading the recipe. I love it when that happens!

No comments: