Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Muffin Love

I ate one before I snapped the picture

I found this recipe on my bag of Shurfine whole wheat flour. The flour was getting close to its use by date, and I didn't want it to go to waste so I tried the recipe out. They were made to serve a purpose, and I didn't expect them to be delicious. However, they have become my go-to breakfast muffins. I've adjusted the recipe to be less sweet and more spicy, but it's close to what's on the bag. 

Whole Wheat Muffins

2 cups     Shurfine whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp    Shurfine salt
4 tsp       Shurfine baking powder
1/2 cup   Shurfine brown sugar
1 cup      Shurfine milk
1/2 tsp    vanilla
  2           eggs
1/3 cup   Shurfine vegetable oil
1/2 cup   Shurfine chopped walnuts
1/2 cup   Shurfine raisins
~1/2 tsp  cinnamon
~1/4 tsp  nutmeg
dash       ground cloves

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease muffin tins.

In a large bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, brown sugar and spices. Mix until the brown sugar lumps are nearly gone.
In a small bowl combine milk, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in raisins and nuts.

Fill muffin cups halfway with batter. Bake 12-18 minutes; let cool slightly and remove from tin.

Makes 12 regular size muffins or 6 jumbo muffins.
*Baker's note: you don't have to use Shurfine products in this recipe.

No comments: