Saturday, August 31, 2013

Now Hear This

My newest obsession is listening to audio-books. I had kind of forgotten they existed until I was trying to finish a book for a book club at my local library. I'm not a very fast reader so I supplemented the audio version I found online with the reading of the physical book. I was literally listening to the last pages while getting ready to attend the meeting.

I was further reminded of their existence when I heard an ad for Audible.com while listening to This American Life. Then I met a guy whose job involved audio-books (or more accurately, prerecorded audio players,) which was weird for all sorts of reasons. 

I got re-hooked in earnest while looking through thousands of papers for one single letter -- a task that required my eyes but not my ears. I opened up the Audible App and realized I could only listen to the first chapter of a book. At the time it seemed good enough so I started listening to The Hunger Games

I was tempted to read the rest of the book but found out that my library had a audio version that I could download right onto my iPhone through the OverDrive App. I finished the first book in a few days. I've slowed my pace a bit since then. But happily, I've listened to more books in the last few months than I've read in the past few years. I feel smarter already!

Mostly, I listen while walking to and from work, but I also listen while baking or cooking or while falling asleep since it has a nifty sleep timer! 

Here's my list of books I finished so far:

1: The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins

2: Catching Fire
Suzanne Collins

3: Mockingjay
Suzanne Collins

4: Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
David Sedaris

5: Bossypants
Tina Fey

6: Superfreakonomics
Steven D. Levitt

7: Freakonomics
Steven D. Levitt

8: Death Masks
Jim Butcher

9: Barrel Fever
David Sedaris

10: Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk
David Sedaris

No comments: